My Idea of Self Organizing teams are the teams which does day to day jobs with minimal or no guidance from the higher management.
This might be useful for any manager or any entrepreneur managing more then a one team. Also in start-up environments usually CIOS who required to do lot of activity and managing different teams would involve lot of time to be spent on managing the teams on daily basis. In an dynamic working environment usually managers would be busy on travel or in important meetings. It would be difficult to manage the team because priorities will keep them busy with other important things. In such scenarios Self Organizing teams would be very useful which will take care of the smooth functioning of the regular work.
Managers then can concentrate more on problem areas and have reviews of the team whenever they feel it is necessary.
Self Organizing teams have greatly helped me. Being a Chief Architect i would require lot of time on designing system architecture and i was also responsible for delivery of the systems as we don’t have managerial structure being a small company. I have developed small Hand Guide for anyone who is interested in this concept.
NOTE: Hand Guide is written keeping in mind for software development teams. But can be easily customized for any type of teams.
Self Organizing Teams
Hand Guide (Software Development Team)
Team Lead – Senior Team Member.
Scrum Master – Every week 1 team member will be scrum Master(If someone if absent, Team lead will tell other team member to be scrum master).
Team Member– every member of the team is team member.
- Daily Stand up meeting (before 10.30 AM)- Every day morning one should have standup meeting
- Discuss on last working day’s status.
- Plan for the day’s Task and arrive at Tasks to be complete List.
- Responsibilities of Team Member
- Respect Scrum master and Team leader’s calls for meeting and status updates.
- Correctly judge day’s work and complete the task accordingly
- Commit and Checkout the code everyday from SVN/Bugs to entered/updated in bug tracking tool
- Help peers whenever needed
- Code reviews
- At the day’s end give the Tasks status to Scrum Master/Team Lead
- Responsibilities of Scrum Master
- All responsibilities of team member.
- Conduct the Stand up meetings every day before 10.30
- Make minutes of Meeting notes for standup meetings.
- Get the status from meetings from members of team.
- Send Day’s Status Mail to Manager, HR and CC to team member
- Responsibilities of Team Lead (If Team Lead is absent, A Team member will take the responsibilities)
- All responsibilities of Team member.
- Conduct the Stand up meetings every day before 10.30.
- Solve team’s concerns regarding technical understanding, functional and any other concerns.
- Asses the time taken to complete tasks.
- Code reviews.
- Release Plans to QA team and ensure the developers have done sanity testing and followed the Checklist document.
- Single point of communication to Client for status updates, functional reviews, issue resolving etc.
- Should be available during office hours for client support.
- Communicate to all the related teams to facilitate common understanding between stake holders of concerned projects
You can contact me in case you need to talk to. Comments and suggestions are much appreciated.